Rafael Alfandary Canada Catalog - Circa Mid 1970's.
Rafael Alfandary (also known as Rafael Canada) was based out of Toronto in the 1970's. His designs often featured handmade chains, visible soldering, bright glass cabochons and moveable kinetic parts. The glass cabochons which came in 1200 shades, were mounted to each piece using a bezel setting. Brass and Copper were the most common materials used, occasionally working in Sterling Silver.
This catalog attached does not represent everthing he created. Throughout his career he designed numerous custom OOAK pieces, an almost futuristic Jacob Hull inspired line, a full men's line (some are represented in this catalog), and a selection of housewares (light fixtures, planters, etc).
Rafael used various hallmarks/signatures throughout his career:
- Earliest hallmark was a hand signed "Rafael"
- 1970 hallmark used is "HAND CRAFTED BY" and a hand etched "Rafael"
- 1970-72 used the hallmark "HAND CRAFTED BY RAFAEL CANADA".
- 1972-1978 he used "Rafael Canada".
- Throughout the entire 1970's, he would occasionally hand sign pieces. These may be designs he personally made versus his stuido making.